As a freelance WordPress Expert, you have to work on various types of WordPress website projects, and tasks. So, the process of learning WordPress to work as a freelancer is different than those who just want to learn WordPress to build their own website.
To become an expert in WordPress and learn WordPress to work as a freelancer, 1st you have to understand the types of work that you have to do or that client or WordPress websites owner expects you to do:
Note: In case if you want to learn WordPress just to build your own website then read this guide:
As a WordPress Freelancer you have to do the following types of work:
- Expertise in using Free or Pro Elementor page builder plugin and various others to create new Websites and update Existing Websites.
- Good knowledge of WordPress Plugin Development. So that you can provide assistance to customize the WordPress plugin, build the new plugin and make changes or update the current project features.
- Specific Theme Customization skills. Such as Divi and Avada Theme Customization and development skills.
- Specific or popular plugin integration, development, and customization skills. Such as Member Press, WooCommerce, Jetpack, Gutenberg, Cloudflare, directory listing, and payment gateway plugins.
You can also visit freelance websites and platforms to learn about what kind of WordPress skills are required to work as a WordPress expert for companies and clients.
It’s not important that you need lots of knowledge of WordPress themes and plugin development. You can start with one or two specific skills. Such as WordPress Elementor Page Builder Expert, WordPress WooCommerce Expert, WordPress Blog Manager, etc. You can title yourself as small or simple in the beginning as per your level of WordPress Expertise. And when you become experienced and learn more you can update your title and bid for high-priced or budget projects.
Level of expertise in WordPress or Steps that you can take to become an expert in WordPress:
It can take you a few hours or a few months depending on your WordPress learning goals.
But just Understanding, what is WordPress, and its use is not enough to take the benefits of WordPress open-source CMS (Content Management System).
Basic Understanding and Knowledge about WordPress:
If you want to hire a WordPress website designer, or developer to build your website then you can learn and understand What is WordPress, How WordPress works, why it’s good to use for a website, etc. then it will take 1 to 2 hours approximately to learn in detailed about the productive uses of WordPress for business.
Basic Practical Knowledge of using WordPress:
Basic practical knowledge of WordPress means you’re able to build your website on your own. It means you’re able to do the following things:
- You can buy domain and hosting.
- You can install WordPress on your hosting account through cPanel.
- You can install themes and plugins.
- You can add, upload, and edit content.
- You can use plugins.
- You can customize or able to use theme options.
- You are able to create sitemap.xml and able to submit it on Google and Bing.
If you’re able to do all the above things, then it’s good basic knowledge. And there are free video tutorials that teach you to do all of the above in 3 to 4 hours even in 1 hour. But practically it will take 10 to 15 days to complete a basic business website.
Learning WordPress is one thing and making a website using WordPress is another thing. Not all know about WordPress or are Able to install themes and plugins and are not able to build a quality WordPress website that is optimized, responsive, and fast. To learn this, it will take a minimum of 10 to 15 days to build a good website while learning WordPress.
Good Knowledge of WordPress:
If you’re able to build any type of personal, business, and eCommerce website by using WordPress then it means you’re really good at WordPress and Website building. The website you build is responsive, fast, optimized for search engine traffic, and attractive. Good knowledge of WordPress also means that you can customize and edit HTML, CSS, and Design. You know the best plugins, themes, and methods to build a website.
So, to become good at WordPress or to gain a good knowledge of WordPress it will take a minimum of 5 to 6 months for normal people to learn WordPress. And it’s also very important that they have basic knowledge of computers and the internet.
Expert Level Knowledge:
To gain expert-level knowledge of WordPress will take a minimum of 1 year. It means now you’re able to do the following things:
- You can edit and customize any WordPress Theme.
- You can solve technical errors on WordPress Website.
- You’re able to build Themes and Plugins on your own.
- You’re able to provide WordPress Web Development services.
- or you’re running and getting a minimum of 1000+ monthly traffic on your own created WordPress Website for business.
So, in conclusion, I will say that you can set a minimum of 12 months to gain expert-level knowledge of WordPress. But it’s doesn’t mean you’re not able to build a website until 12 months. You will start building a website within a few days. And when you run, manage, and make that WordPress website successful you will learn more. And you will learn daily. It’s a never-ending process.
And it’s very easy to learn WordPress faster. I have considered 12 months’ time for non-technical background people to become experts in WordPress.
But is it easy to learn WordPress?
It depends on you. In the beginning, everything you read and watch can be difficult for you especially if you don’t have basic knowledge of computers. But don’t worry. It’s not about the difficulty.
It’s about the reasons, commitment, and goals. If you think you can do it then you can do it no matter how difficult and challenging it is in the beginning. It’s not that difficult to learn WordPress these days.
There are thousands of WordPress-related education and knowledge available for beginners. It depends on you how you can use it.
But what it takes to learn WordPress skills faster to become WordPress Freelancer:
- Build your own website and set goals to get 1000+ visitors in the next 6 months from search engines. In this process, you will learn how to make a user and search engine-friendly website.
- Set goals to work as a WordPress Developer. Now in this process, you will learn themes, plugin development, and many other WordPress-related business models.
- 5 to 6 hours of daily practice. It means practicing and using WordPress Website Design and SEO techniques daily on your own website or client website.
- Understanding the goal of the website more than WordPress Technologies.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?