Making a website for a business is almost mandatory to build an online presence, reach potential customers on mobile and desktop devices, sell products and services online and get more bookings for the business.
Basically, business website pages contain the details of business registration, information about products or services, about team and founders, mission and vision, address, contact details and many other things such as portfolio, blog, achievements, press releases and activities. This information remains public 24/7. Anyone can use this information either to buy or contact or just read about the business. Read more: Top 10 Uses of creating a website for your business
People get to business websites through Bing, Google, yahoo or social media whenever they search or look for a specific solution, service, and help. Many also type the website name directly in the browser to get to the website, but most people use search engines. While you can also share links to your website through WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, and email with potential customers and companies. Those who want to know about your business, products, and services, contact information, and branch address can visit the website with that link.
If a business website, pages, posts, text, videos, and images, are responsive, load fast, and links are fully optimized with relevant keywords, then it will get more visibility in the search engine and more people will visit the website. With a business website, small businesses have the opportunity to get local as well as international customers. When businesses start getting more visitors and sales then they get unlimited opportunities to grow the business.
Examples of business websites:
- Bing.com is an example of a search engine website similar to google and duckduckgo. The search engine is a technology (algorithm created with the use of programming languages) that is integrated or scripted inside Bing’s website. This helps people to find almost any type of data and information on the web.
- Facebook.com is an example social networking website where people connect and share their status, private data, and information related to personal life, travel, business, a profession through images, videos, text, and many other ways.
- HubSpot is an example of business to business (b2b) website where they are promoting and selling their inbound marketing, sales, and customer service web application.
- Orbitmedia.com is an example of business to customer (b2c) website. Where they promote or show their Web design & development services, portfolio, contact details, and testimonials and engage with customers through web design and development-related educational blog posts.
- Squarespace.com is an example of a tool-based website through that they provide website building and hosting services.
- Amazon.in or .com is an example of a multi-vendor eCommerce store website (B2B2C), where not only you can buy products but you can also sell.
- Klientsolutech.com is an example of a multi-niche business blog website where you can read and learn about the latest computer technologies, skills, and career and business development tips.
- Lenovo.com is an example of a b2c business and eCommerce website. Where people can find and buy a Lenovo laptop, desktop computer and other tech appliances.
- SEMrush.com is an example of a cloud-based SaaS platform website in which they are promoting their SEO tools and providing access to SEO features such as keyword research, and competitive analytics to increase website traffic.
- Udemy.com is an example online learning and teaching marketplace website where you can learn and teach any technical, business, academic, and life skills through online courses.
On the web, you will get unlimited examples of business websites. But the most important thing to remember is that business websites are not just limited to marketing and selling physical products and remote (human-based) services. Business websites can be tool-based, directories, marketplaces, SaaS, eCommerce, app landing pages, and various types of websites. Any website that does commercial activity through itself or by people is a business website. And most of the use of the Internet in business is commercial.
Please read this post for detailed information about the types of websites and what type of business website you can create: The Seven Types of business websites that you can create
Benefits of having a website for small businesses:
- The single most benefit of the website is that small businesses can promote and sell products and services online.
- The 2nd advantage of having a website is that it lets customers can know about the business, partners, office address, product, and service online before contacting and buying locally.
- The 3rd benefit of having a website is that small businesses can connect with customers for a long period of time through engaging content and email marketing.
- The 4th benefit of having a website is that small businesses can track the behavior of users on their products and services. They can test, compare and apply various online marketing strategies such as social media marketing, email marketing, content marketing, pay-per-click advertising, and many other techniques to increase traffic, sales, and booking.
- Website is 24/7 and 365 days the online presence of your business. With regular content publishing and update it will rank higher for customer search terms in Google, Bing, and yahoo. And this makes it possible for small businesses to generate leads just with free organic traffic without spending money on paid advertising.
To learn more about the benefits of having a website in a more detailed explanation then please read this post: Top 7 benefits of having a website for small business
Things you need to make a good and simple business website:
The 1st thing you need to make a website is domain and hosting.
The domain is the name and web address of the website. And hosting is a storage space where you place website pages to be visible and function publicly.
Not only that you optimize the content with relevant keywords and search terms so that people will get them on the top 10 search results and visit your website. You can use keyword research tools or all-in-one SEO tools for all of your SEO needs.
But not all have the time and knowledge of website building. Due to that today’s time, you will get much better ways to build business and eCommerce websites in which you don’t need too much technical and coding knowledge. You can build a website just with the drag n drop option. All of that we call website-building platforms.
Website building platforms are web application software that makes it easy, and less complex to make a business website.
There are three types of websites building platforms and applications:
1. Website builders:
With the website builder application, you will get everything that you need to build a business website such as domain, website templates (pages), customizer or page builder. Mainly website builders are web applications that you can use to create and edit web pages and pre-designed templates as per your content and business needs.
The other option is providing such as domain, hosting, and marketing tools that are integrated with APIs and as partnership programs.
Top Website builders or platforms to make a business, blog, and eCommerce websites:
2. CMS – WordPress:
CMS is a content management system software. It means the software will manage everything that needs to build and run a business website online. You can create web pages and customize their appearance and save that in the database automatically. You can write and publish a blog post. And you can manage every public view through a dashboard that is behind the CMS software. The biggest and most popular example of CMS software for business and blog website building is WordPress.
With WordPress, you can start by booking a domain name and hosting. Either at one place or with two different companies. These days you will get a free domain name booking for 1 year with the hosting company. When you buy a domain and host on the same platform. Then you don’t have to place or add the domain name server address manually. It will automatically get integrated.
But if you buy a domain with one company and host with another company then you have to customize or add a domain name server (hosting server address) manually inside the nameserver option in the domain company website.
When this is done, now you can install WordPress or any other CMS that will get inside cPanel or in your hosting account dashboard.
Inside WordPress, you can use free responsive WordPress themes and plugins to make your business website. For more page design and customization options, you can install the WordPress page builder plugin. And you can use many other free and paid plugins to give more dynamic functionality to the website.
Top Website builders or platforms to make a business, blog, and eCommerce websites:
While the main work of these companies is to book domains, provide hosting services, and manage and secure a website and data on the server. But as per the demand of business websites and website builders, they are also providing basic website-building tools. Here you start making a website here with just booking a domain and hosting package. Once that’s done, you can use a website builder. You have to manage one account or dashboard to build and run a website. Due to that many buy domains, hosting, and website building package (which include templates, drag-n-drop options, and third-party services) in a single package with the hosting company.
When customers visit your website, they don’t visit it to check which technology you have used to make your business website.
They just want a good experience when they read, buy, and contact. That’s why a website needs to be loaded faster, it needs to be responsive and professional so that it helps to connect and solve the problem or help the visitors.
Whatever technology or methods you can use to make a website. The end goal is most important, which is to provide data, information, services, and products for customers, helping them to navigate the feature easily. For that, you need to design and present your website content as easier as possible for the visitors to read, compare and buy products.
Ways to make a website for business:
- You can use website builder software if you have less technical knowledge and time to make a business website. You can use a pre-designed theme, customize the content and launch it within a few days. Website builders are the easiest and fastest way of making a website for business.
- The 2nd way you can choose is to learn to use WordPress. It will take you a few hours or days to learn to build a simple business website in WordPress. As long as you keep learning you will be able to build a good and SEO-friendly business website.
- The third way you can use is to hire local experts or freelancers to build a website using website builders or WordPress.
- The 4th method you can use is to hire a website consultant who can play a communication or technical role between you and designers or agencies.
There are different ways to build a website. Not all methods are equal in terms of effectiveness, features, cost, and SEO. Read these articles to gain more in-depth details and analysis of website building methods: Different Ways to build any type of Website
Where to start making a website?
You can start making a website by creating a plan and strategy for the website. Planning and strategy play a big role to make a website successful.
While many jumps straight to buy the domain and hosting, website builder plans or hire a website developer. But that’s the very wrong approach to start making a website for business. Mostly for those who don’t know how to get people to visit the website or how you promote that.
1st create a marketing plan then start making the website. It’s important to create a raw or initial plan and research a little more about all of the aspects of the website and the people you want to attract to visit your website. And how you will convert them into booking or email subscribers or customers.
Below are the things that I think are very important to include in a marketing plan before you start making a website:
- Write down your top 5 goals that you want to achieve through the business website.
- Make a list of top keywords that you want to use in the search engine optimization of your website. Use keyword research tools, google trends, read case studies, and communicate with people.
- Content that you want to put on a website as per the goals.
- And marketing strategy that you will use to promote and get people to visit your websites such as social media, or SEO or SEM. Read more: How to make your website more popular with these 15 ways
- And domain and hosting company that you want to use to book domain and hosting if you have selected WordPress to make your website.
So, when you have a marketing plan and an understanding of various other elements that make a website or business successful then you can take good and right actions that will take your small business to new heights.
Basically, when you have a plan, you can choose the right domain and host for your website or you can choose the right website-building platform. You can hire the right candidate to make a website and you can communicate clearly about your business goals.
Most business owners don’t take stress to creating a plan for a website. Nor do they ask the website designer or agencies. Nor do website design agencies educate them about the website. Read more: What is the use of the internet for small business owners
Having a website is nothing without traffic. There are millions of business websites and thousands are making it right now.
Most business websites are unable to get the traffic or not getting traffic or any business from the website.
The most common reason is that they haven’t started with the right marketing strategy and plan. They thought it was a just $100 or $500 bet, let’s try it.
But it’s not like this. Making a website is not just about the technicalities or the presence of your website or the address of your business on the internet. Making a website is about building a business. Building the foundation. Automating the marketing. Reducing the cost of getting customers. And another important thing is how to get back after failing to get business from a website. And always remember that a website is not a one-time project or bet, it’s a lifetime commitment to grow your business.
Has someone told you this before?
Might be, but do you believe in this? If not, you have to if you want to make a website that will grow your business. So, invest a good amount of time understanding online marketing and various business website marketing strategy.
Making a business website is not a one-time project, it’s a lifetime project. And you will get what you believe and know.
So, know more. Contact and communicate with marketing agencies or business website consultants and experts about various things such as website traffic, website conversion, website scalability, and process. If you don’t find anyone, contact me.
But don’t be in hurry to make a business website. Invest a good amount of time in planning and learning. Even if you hire a freelancer to make a business website. At least you know what needs to be done, not what they say needs to be done.
Once your plan and strategy are ready then start taking the technical steps. So now let’s understand the technical process step by step to make a business website:
When making a business website with WordPress:
- Book Domain Name and Hosting:
- Install WordPress
- InstallResponsive WordPress Theme
- Add Content (Text – Images – Videos as per content strategy).
- Optimize content for search engine rank. On-Page SEO – Please read this guide here: On-Page SEO best practices – Website On-Page SEO Essentials
- Test the website speed. Read More: Website Technical SEO Audit Essentials for Beginners
- Remove the unnecessary plugins.
- Edit or proofread the content.
- Check the website responsiveness on both mobile (small) or Desktop (larger) screen sizes.
What to put on your business website?
Each type of business website helps to accomplish certain business goals. So, it’s important you know what is that. So that helps you to put content and each detail that matters to your business.
Top things that you can put on your website:
- Contact Page: Put the business address and contact details on the contact page. The goal here is to help people to find or know your business address, and location.
- About Us Page: On the about us page, publish your business vision and mission statement. Why do you do what you do, how do you do it, and how does it help the reader or person who contacts you? You can also mention your own profile or founder and team members’ details. The goal here is to look genuine, authentic, and trustworthy.
- Services Page: In-service pages list your top 3 services that are most important for the customers or in high demand. And be specific and target the right target.
Example, for an SEO Company:
- Technical and On-Page SEO Auditing Services.
- On-Page optimization services.
- Website speed optimization Services.
- Keyword Research Services.
You can also target specific industries for your SEO services. For example, SEO services for Travel Agencies. SEO Services for SaaS startups etc.
Similarly, pet care service provider can list their services as per the above example.
- Portfolio / Expertise Page: A portfolio or Experience or our expertise page is very important for service provider business. This helps the visitor or potential customer in trust-building on you and your brand. Whatever small or large experience you have, mention them here. Related: How building a portfolio website helps to get new clients regularly
For Example, a Logo designer can show samples of logos or details of businesses that he/she has worked with a logo designer.
And SEO services providers can showcase data analytics screenshots of those websites or just analytics details that prove that this agency has a good record in terms of SEO and ranking business websites for keywords.
- Product Pages: If you’re selling products one or more than one in a physical location then can list them here with each type of detail. But if it’s an eCommerce website then product pages are automatically created. Such as if you use Woo Commerce plugin in WordPress then product pages and single product pages are automatically generated. You can show the same products on the eCommerce website differently by filtering or adding filters such as categorize-wise, keyword-wise, tag-wise, and geo or location-based. Read More: High converting eCommerce product page best practices: WordPress
- Single product page or landing page: Whether it’s an eCommerce website product page or an affiliate product or any other digital product. The most important things are the keyword-optimized product title, easy-read description (use bullet points or numbers, shorter), proof of its quality (trust seals, authorization or recognition), price, past customers feedback (ratings) etc. Read More: Why do you need at least one landing page on your website?
- Blog Page: A blog page is used for content marketing on a business website. Before you make a business website public try to write and publish 4 to 5 posts. This will help you to build a strong foundation for SEO and this will also help you gain the trust of search engines it also helps 1st-time visitors to get engaged with your content. Such as converting the 1st 100 visitors into email subscribers. Read More: How blogging will increase sales on your eCommerce website
- Home Page: The homepage is the main page of the website. It’s like a guest room or reception area. Add services, products, about us, blogs, testimonials, and video links from the home page.
The goal here is to welcome. Let the visitor feel comfortable in finding the various details of your business one by one. Read More: Ways to let more people know about your local business online
Some of the other small but most important things to put on the website are to build the trust of the customer. Without trust in you, they will not contact or buy products. It’s brand building, it’s more important for new business.
- Business registration details such as company CN number. GST, Pan Card, Approval, government authorization, community recognition, and social applications.
- Customer feedback, comments, testimonials.
- Google Maps and office opening and closing time.
- Link to social media pages of your business.
- FAQ section – answers to frequently asked questions by customers.
Each business or eCommerce website is different if not then it needs to be. The basic technicalities can be the same. But SOP can be different. So not one type of content or style is best for all business websites. Each website page and its content needs to be created as unique and best. And most importantly it needs to gain customer trust, and be keyword-optimized for ranking, and be conversion-optimized which increases sales.
How to write content for your business website?
Content is a very important part when making a business website. That’s mainly why you’re building it. Content can be in the form of video, text, images, Q/A etc. Now website is complete without content. Content is what will be noticed by people and search engines. Content on a website or web is a medium of communication. When creating content think like you’re communicating with the person who sits on another side of the computer and opened your website.
Customers get engaged with your business through content on the web and website. There are various ways to create high-quality, SEO-friendly content for your website pages and posts. You can write on your own, you can hire content writers or copywriters and you can also use artificial intelligence-based content writing software or AI writing tools.
Some of the bests website content writing practices are the following:
Understand your audience and answer the most common as well as specific questions in the heading and content.
For example, your target audience or customers want to learn video editing skills. So, they are searching and following various things on google and Bing.
Not all searching for video editing skills have the same short-term and long terms goals behind learning.
Now you can write the content or start answering the question or needs or desires or goals of the target audience like this:
- Learn Video editing skills to get more projects and become a successful freelancer.
- Master video editing skills and grow your YouTube Channel.
- Learn video editing skills so that you can start your own business.
- Learn video editing skills to create an awesome Facebook video.
All of the above headings target different audiences and goals. Now it’s up to you, to target a specific audience or target all those who want to learn video editing skills. And to expand your reach you can also create different landing pages or SEO or social media ad campaigns later.
Keywords in the heading and content:
Seo-friendly content is very important to rank your home and product or service pages higher in search engines. Just target 2 to 3 different keywords for each page.
Make the paragraph shorter and concise so that is easy to read and understand for the visitor/readers. Bold important points. Use bullet points for features. And numbers for fixed things.
Use text, images, and videos. They can be related to products, services, features, diagrams, and case studies.
You can write and create all types of content on your own. Writing better content for your website is essential. You need to have a good vocabulary of the industry and knowledge of common words or phrases that your target audience speaks or interacts with within daily life.
The best method is that you can invest some time in learning to write and create engaging content. You can also use AI writing tools for website content and heading ideas.
You can learn to create engaging headlines, learn copywriting, business writing, and keyword optimization in the content. You can learn website content writing online through blogs, free videos, and online courses.
If you’re not sure that you can write good content for a website on your own, then you can also hire a business website content writer professionally as well.
You don’t have to focus on writing perfect content. No content is perfect on the 1st day. Just try to answer the most common questions of your target customers in the content. And try to improve the content on pages after analyzing user behaviors on those pages through SEO software such as google analytics, heat maps, and page or keyword rank tracker tools.
How to learn to make a website?
Please visit the below posts to learn more about website building:
What is the cost of developing a website?
Please visit and read the below posts:
What to look for when hiring a website designer or developer?
Get most of the answers and strategies in the below posts:
So, friends, I hope I have answered all of the basic questions that are important for beginners to know about making a business website. It’s possible that I have missed many things, but you can contact me or just let me know in the comments, I will try to update this post with those queries.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?